VACANCY: Community Development Officer
Community Development Officer
The Yorkshire Cricket Foundation
Contract: Full time, 18 month contract initially
Salary – Competitive Salary and Benefits
The Yorkshire Cricket Foundation is a registered charity that delivers community projects across the county. Using the power of sport and cricket in particular, the foundation aims to make a lasting, positive impact on the lives of those living in Yorkshire.
The work of the foundation falls under five themes which are:
• Health & Wellbeing
• History and Heritage
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join The Yorkshire Cricket Foundation as Community Development Officer for Leeds.
Yorkshire Cricket has secured funding from the ECB to better understand how communities in Leeds, that have a heritage and history connected to the South Asian countries of Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka wish to watch, play, coach and officiate in cricket in Yorkshire. This post will be to help develop that understanding across Yorkshire Cricket and help promote best practice from a local to regional level.
Applicants need a sound knowledge and understanding of BME communities & cultures, recreational cricket; a commitment to increase player retention and participation at all levels; proven managerial and administrative competencies; together with excellent communication skills.
The successful applicant will be employed by The Yorkshire Cricket Foundation but will work under the Yorkshire Cricket banner which also includes Yorkshire County Cricket Club and The Yorkshire Cricket Board.
Knowledge and experience of cricket would be advantage but the role is not a coaching one.
The post is full-time, based at Headingley Cricket Ground and out in the Leeds communities. A full current UK driving license is required.
For an informal discussion about the post or for the job description please contact Will Saville on: 0113 2033620 firstname.lastname@example.org .
To apply please send your C.V and a cover letter to email@example.com or F.A.O Will Saville, Headingley Cricket Ground, Leeds, LS6 3BU
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 13th September 2017, with interviews scheduled for week commencing 18th September 2017. We are looking to make an appointment for the new post holder to join the organisation in October.
For further information on the Yorkshire Cricket Foundation, please visit our website www.yorkshirecricketfoundation.com
Job Description – Community Development Officer
Reporting to: Foundation Manager
Staff reporting: Volunteers
Based: Headingley Cricket Ground & in the Leeds community
Contract: Full time, 18 month contract initially (subject to funding)
To lead with the development and implementation of a range of initiatives that engage the South Asian communities in Leeds to be sustainably active in cricket.
To contribute to building Yorkshire Cricket as the Champion of our communities
To contribute to being the Charity that makes the biggest and everlasting impact in Yorkshire’s communities
Key Areas of Work
• Research the current landscape assessing current provision, facilities, key organisations, partners and opportunities
• Assess current workforce and put in place a plan to develop and train a more diverse workforce at all levels to include coaching, volunteering, officiating and groundsmanship
• Create a plan to reach South Asians who are currently not playing cricket (both new and lapsed players)
• Work to increase participation and greater cultural integration for those already playing cricket, including
o South Asian boys and girls (U16’s)
o South Asian players affiliated to ECB competitions and leagues
o Teams playing new formats of our game to include non-affiliated competitions
• Ensure all initiatives provide sustainable exit routes for participants
• Develop an annual plan of activity linked to community needs and KPI’s
• Working closely with the communications team to effectively promote activity
• Plan budgets, conducting research into income and expenditure
• Contribute to the production of the Annual Review and newsletter, including writing copy
• Ensure the website and communications information related to the project is up to date
• Collate case studies, photographs and information from projects/events as required by the funders and for use in promotional material
• Promote activities via social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter)
• Advertise and recruit volunteers as required to support the functions of running projects and events
• Manage and supervise volunteers
Experience, Skills and Competencies (E= Essential, D = Desirable)
• Experience of developing, managing and delivering sports activities E
• Experience of working in a sports development environment with an outcomes based approach to working E
• Demonstrable knowledge of BME communities and the barriers to participation they face E
• Knowledge of Leeds and the current sporting environment in the city D
• Target driven approach with the ability to meet outlined KPI’s E
• Experience facilitating focus groups E
• Strong interest in sport and understanding of the benefits it can bring E
• High standard of computer literacy (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook and the Internet) E
• Excellent written skills with the ability to produce concise and informative copy D
• Excellent communication and presentation skills D
• Meticulous attention to detail E
• Demonstrable ability to plan and prioritise own workload with minimum supervision E
• Ability to demonstrate initiative and work well under pressure E
• Ability to understand and generate budgets E
• Ability to plan ahead and work within agreed timeframes E
• Ability and willingness to travel for work with access to own vehicle E
• Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as required E