Heritage Club Of The Week - Skipton Church Institute CC
Skipton Church Institute CC was formed in 1882 originating as the Cricket Club for the main church at the head of Skipton High Street, Holy Trinity.
Up until the 1970s the President of the Club was the incumbent at the Church, they are one of few Clubs to have had Canons and Archdeacons as Presidents.
They have had 3 home grounds in their time, originally playing in the deer park at the rear of Skipton Castle until 1938. They then moved to a ground leased from the LMS railway company until after the second world war, before moving to their current home in the 1940s. It is leased from North Yorkshire County Council.
They currently run 2 senior teams in the Craven and District Cricket League.
In recent years they have invested heavily in improving their facilities. a new pavilion in 2001 has been followed by the relocation of the square to bring it near to the pavilion.
New covers, sight screens, and a perimeter fence have followed. A new electronic scoreboard had been ordered, its unveiling has been delayed to the current situation and season postponement.
Follow Skipton Church Institute CC on Twitter @SkiptonCI