Sicklinghall CC Club of the Week
Sicklinghall Cricket Club was not formerly established until 1925, however old press cuttings show that the game was enjoyed in the village as far back as 1848 and possibly even earlier.
For the first six years the club played friendly fixtures before joining the Wetherby and District Cricket League in 1932. Matches were initially played at Bowrake Farm before moving to a pitch behind The Scotts Arms and shortly after back to Bowrake Farm. The club enjoyed its first success winning the Harbord Cup in 1938.
The club was temporarily closed in 1940 following the outbreak of World War 2, reopening in 1946.
Another move took place in 1964 when the club moved to Stockeld Park, which would be its home for the next 36 years. During this time the club won the Wetherby and District Cricket League Division 1 title five times, The Evening Cup four times and the Fred Fleetwood Cup once. Lindsay Pearson and the Wood family of John Wood and his four sons, Steve, Andy, Martin and Phil were part of the successful squad who achieved these feats and still play a major part within the club both on and off the field. In 2000 they also helped steer the club to the quarter finals of the National Village Knock Out competition.
Due to the foot and mouth crisis in 2001, when Stockeld Park was closed, the club played its league games on Sundays at Whixley CC, whilst working hard to establish a new ground in Sicklinghall close to its original location of Bowrake Farm. The team not only had a lot of physical labour to get the ground ready they needed to raise funds which included posing for their own version of the Calendar Girls Calendar.
Since 2000 the club has continued its winning ways, it has twice won The Evening Cup and The Fred Fleetwood Cup a further time. Following relegation in 2012 the club won the Division 2 title in 2013 and the League Championship in 2018.
Throughout its history the club has prided itself on its ethos of playing the game competitively but never without a sense of enjoyment and fun for every team member. This sporting spirit saw the club win the Wetherby and District Cricket League Sportsmanship Trophy for many consecutive years. For a sense of the fun why not read some of our match reports.
Due to lack of numbers the second eleven was withdrawn from the league in 2015. Not to be deterred in 2016 the club started a junior section with just a handful of boys and girls by the end of last season this had grown to over 65 junior members. In 2019 the club expanded its membership further with the establishment of a ladies team.
The club suffered a devastating arson attack in 2016 destroying the clubhouse and all its outbuildings. With the support of the local community it has been working hard to raise funds to build a new clubhouse. Plans have been drawn up and applications made for the additional funding needed to allow the club to flourish once again in the 21st century.
Despite only having temporary accommodation, the club was thrilled to be included in the book Remarkable Village Cricket Grounds by Brian Levison (published by Pavilion Books in 2018).