Volunteer Vacancy - Walking Cricket Activator
Walking Cricket Activator – Part Time Position
The Yorkshire Cricket Foundation
The Yorkshire Cricket Foundation is a registered charity that delivers community projects across the county. Using the power of sport and cricket in particular, the foundation aims to make a lasting, positive impact on the lives of those living in Yorkshire.
The work of the foundation falls under five themes which are:
• Education • Health & Wellbeing • Participation • History and Heritage
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join The Yorkshire Cricket Foundation as Community to help develop Walking Cricket in local communities across Yorkshire, which aims to provide an alternative format of cricket for older adults to play in a social, safe environment.
The successful applicant will be hired on a part time basis by The Yorkshire Cricket Foundation but will work under the Yorkshire Cricket banner which also includes Yorkshire County Cricket Club, Yorkshire Cricket Board and Pro Coach.
Knowledge and experience of cricket is not essential, however a willingness to understand the community audience is essential.
Proven administrative competencies; together with excellent communication skills.
Knowledge and experience of cricket would be advantageous, but the role is not a coaching one.
The role is based predominantly within exiting Walking Cricket towns and cities, Doncaster, Barnsley, Wakefield, with travel to Yorkshire Cricket Foundation’s HQ in Headingley, Leeds is required.
A full current UK driving license with access to own vehicle is required.
For an informal discussion about the post or for the job description please contact Kendal James on: 0113 2033616 email@example.com.
To apply please send your C.V and a cover letter explaining why your skills and experience are suited to the role to Kendal.firstname.lastname@example.org or F.A.O Kendal James, Emerald Headingley Cricket Ground, Leeds, LS6 3BU
The closing date for applications is noon on Friday 8th November 2019.
For further information on the Yorkshire Cricket Foundation, please visit our website www.yorkshirecricketfoundation.com
Job Description – Walking Cricket Activator
Reporting to: Participation Manager
Staff reporting: Volunteers
Based: Emerald Headingley Cricket Ground & in the Leeds community
Contract: Part time (10 hours)
Walking Cricket engages with those who identify as older adults, using the power of cricket, to increase mobility, to decrease social isolation and give participants access to all the benefits sport can offer, by providing weekly physical activity sessions and the opportunity to socialise. The project currently has over 100 participants, who have been identified through a fantastic working partnership, with a range of different partners, both regionally and nationally. Walking Cricket currently operates in Barnsley Doncaster and Wakefield. The project aims to create steering groups and a network of volunteers across Yorkshire who can manage their local groups to take part in informal, social competition.
To be the Charity that makes the biggest and everlasting impact in Yorkshire’s communities.
Key Areas of Work
• Research the current landscape assessing current provision, facilities, key organisations, partners and opportunities
• Support current workforce and put in place a plan to develop and train more volunteer leads.
• To continue working with project partners to deliver more Walking Cricket activity sessions
• To continue to work with partner ‘U3A’ to utilise other existing groups in local towns and cities to create a further reach.
• To report regularly on progress – including updates for YCF staff as well as evaluation report.
• Attending Walking Cricket sessions and events
• Answering telephone calls and taking message
• Face to face contact & engaging with older adults
• Sending and receiving emails
• Basic Administration duties involved within a busy environment
• Basic Marketing Duties
• Working closely with the media and PR team to effectively promote activity
• Collate case studies, photographs and information from projects/events as required by the funders and for use in promotional material
• Working alongside the Marketing & PR Officer promote activities via social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter)
• Advertise and recruit volunteers as required to support the functions of running projects and events
• Work and support volunteers.
• Personable communication skills E
• Knowledge of community and the challenges older adults face with engagement D
• Interest in charity work D
• Creative mindset and willingness to work on new and innovative ideas towards community engagement E
• Experience of working with a diverse range of people D
• High standard of computer literacy (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook and the Internet) E
• Demonstrable ability to plan and priorities own workload with minimum supervision E
• Ability to plan ahead and work within agreed timeframes E
• Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as required E
• Understanding of different evaluation methods D