Cricket Clubs: We need YOU!
Yorkshire Cricket Heritage: Reminiscence & Education – Building a Legacy #YCHeritage
This project, funded by the National lottery Heritage fund, will preserve, share and use the diverse heritage of local cricket clubs across Leeds and Bradford to benefit local communities. These clubs span urban and rural areas; all classes of society and different ethnicities. They include some of the best local examples of living history and are powerful conduits for telling the stories of their communities.
Supported by experienced delivery partners, this heritage will be:
• researched and interpreted from memorabilia and newspaper microfilm;
• recorded through oral histories;
• shared through presentations, via club websites and a bespoke heritage website, designed and built by the project;
• used for community good through activity strands in health and education;
• sustained by YCF through the in-built legacies of the activities.
The wellbeing and education strands build on successful activities delivered during the Foundation’s previous pilot project utilising the rich history and heritage of local cricket clubs. They will:
• address issues of dementia, depression and loneliness by delivering reminiscence sessions for older people;
• use local cricket history to inspire KS2 and KS3 children in cross-curricular classroom learning, and in school assemblies.
This project will benefit the knowledge, skills and well-being of participants; sustain the legacy and resilience of local clubs and celebrate the social heritage of their communities.
Cricket Clubs – We need you!
We are currently in phase 1 of the project, which involves reaching out to cricket clubs. If you are a Cricket club, based in Bradford and Leeds, please get in touch with Chris.Chatten@yorkshirecricketfoundation.com to see how you can get involved in the project.